Sunday 30 May 2010

Pete Shelley - Homosapien (12'' Dance Maxi) 1981 electro punk synth pop


Pete Shelley - Homosapien (12'' Dance Maxi) 1981

In 1981, Pete Shelley (from The Buzzcocks) released his first solo single, the song "Homosapien".
He returned to his original interests in electronic music and shifted emphasis from guitar to synthesizer.
The song was banned by the BBC for "explicit reference to gay sex", which didn't stop it from becoming enormously popular in dance clubs in Europe and North America. :)

"Fantasticly aggressive electro synth club baseline with original edgy punk attitute and clever lyrics. Amazing this track was released 30 years ago! Cutting edge! 10/10!"
[RETRO DISCO HI-NRG]

Homosapien = Human species (Latin: "wise man" or "knowing man") highly developed brain, capable of abstract reasoning, language, introspection, and problem solving.


"Im the shy boy, Youre the coy boy
And you know were Homosapien too
Im the cruiser, Youre the loser, Me and you sir
Homosapien too

Homosuperior In my interior
But from the skin out Im homosapien too
And youre homosapien too And Im homosapien like you
And were homosapien too

And I think of your eyes in the dark and I see the star
And I look to the light and I might wonder right where you are
All the gods in the sky way up high see the world spinning round
But the sun and the moon and the stars are so far from the ground

Im the shy boy Youre the coy boy
And you know were Homosapien too
Im the cruiser Youre the loser
Me and you sir Homosapien too
Homosuperior In my interior
But from the skin out Im homosapien too
And youre homosapien too And Im homosapien like you And were homosapien too

And the worlds built of age are a stage where we act out our lives
And the words in the script seem to fit cept we have some surprise
I just want this to last or my future is past and all gone
And if this is the case then Ill lose in lifes race from now on

Homosuperior In my interior
But from the skin out Im homosapien too
And youre homosapien too And Im homosapien like you And were homosapien too

And I just hope and pray that the day of our love is at hand
You and i, me and you, we will be one from two, understand?
And the world is so wrong that I hope that well be strong enough
For we are on our own and the only thing known is our love
I dont wanna classify you like an animal in the zoo
But it seems good to me to know that youre homosapien too

Im the shy boy Youre the coy boy

I dont wanna classify you like an animal in the zoo
But it seems good to me to know that youre homosapien too
I dont wanna classify you like an animal in the zoo
But it seems good to me to know that youre homosapien too
I dont wanna classify you like an animal in the zoo
But it seems good to me to know that youre homosapien too
"

1 comment:

  1. Tom in Portsmouth, NH (USA)26 February 2011 at 04:30

    This is one of my favorite songs ever! Thank you for posting it. Sounds as fresh today as it did 30 years ago. Was it really banned by the BBC? Must've been the line "Homo superior in my interior", although I would hardly say that was an "explicit reference to gay sex". It all seems rather quaint & innocent when viewed from the perspective of 2011.

    ReplyDelete

Enjoying the files? Please leave some comments :)